Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Impact of Junior Achievement

In high school, I was one of those kids that joined everything. I didn’t really know where my passion or talent lay, so I joined a variety of extra-curriculars – from a trivia team to cheerleading to student council. I also joined something that I heard about in a classroom presentation – the Junior Achievement Company Program. I didn’t really understand what it was, but I thought starting a business and maybe even making money from it sounded like it could be worthwhile. There was no way I could have known that the decision to go to the first meeting would completely shape my future.

I was always very shy. In elementary school, I skipped two grades, meaning that I was younger, and usually smaller, than everyone in all of my classes. I really struggled to fit in; I didn’t feel like I had found my niche. I constantly wanted to blend into the background. I knew I sometimes had good ideas, but letting people talk over me was always easier and putting myself out there was extremely intimidating. 

During my involvement in the Company Program, I slowly began to come out of my shell. I had accepted the stereotype that business was a male-dominated, aggressive industry where I could never make it, and because of this I had never even considered it as a career path. The atmosphere of Junior Achievement completely changed this view. Our advisors from the business community as well as the Junior Achievement of NS staff did everything they could to make us feel comfortable. Learning about business in an inclusive atmosphere leveled out the playing field and gave every participant equal opportunity. Everyone’s opinion was welcomed, and I went home after every meeting bursting with motivation and excited about the future of our company. I met positive female role models who showed me that I could be a CEO just as well as a man could. So many things I had never been exposed to were suddenly wide open for me to learn about: marketing and sales, accounting, IT, networking, and leadership. I went from not even knowing what accounting was to being the Vice President of Finance for a legitimately incorporated company, and I am now an accounting student at Acadia University.  I have gone from being a passive follower to an enthusiastic and dedicated leader in many other organizations and jobs.

Looking back on how I changed and how much I learned during my three years in the Company Program is incredible to me. However, the hard skills that I developed like personal branding, bookkeeping, how to manage conflict, presentations, and problem-solving aren’t even what I am most thankful for. Junior Achievement has given me confidence and instilled in me the belief that I can succeed at whatever career I choose. Through JA, I was given some of the most amazing opportunities that I believe I will ever be given. As an ambassador, I have shared my experiences with hundreds of business professionals to illustrate the true impact of Junior Achievement. As an award-winner, I have spoken to 1300 attendees at the Canadian Business Hall of Fame Gala. As a student, I have built relationships with dozens of employers and continue to foster those connections, as well as made some of my best friends from around the world. I truly believe that with the skills, connections and most importantly, confidence, that I have gained, I can change the world.


If I had not made the decision to attend that first meeting, I have no idea where I would be today. I would still be that timid young girl that never spoke up and didn’t believe in herself. I know how to share my There is no way that I would have the confidence to be up here speaking to you today. I’ve been hearing my generation called Generation Jobless lately: nobody who graduates the Company Program will find themselves fitting under this title.  So many not-for-profit organizations are doing amazing things in our community, but Junior Achievement is giving teenagers like me the tools that they need to become those social entrepreneurs and not just to get a job, but create jobs. Entrepreneurship is the future of our country’s success on the world stage. Junior Achievement of Nova Scotia is supporting our province’s economic and social future as well as supporting the leaders of tomorrow. Thank you for listening to my story. 

Note: This is adapted from a speech that I gave at a 100 Women Who Care Halifax event as a pitch for JA. Here's a video of my speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE0HnlKcTAA

No comments:

Post a Comment