Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Best Recruitment Strategy Ever


I’m currently on a plane home from Toronto; I spent the last three days at the Deerhurst Resort for the Deloitte National Leadership Conference (DNLC). Conferences have always been one of my favourite ways to spend my time, and this was absolutely no exception.

I really had no idea what to expect coming into this conference. All I knew was the purpose (to build relationships and connections with Deloitte staff as well as the 80 other students attending (perfect for an accounting student like myself) and that we were told to only bring casual clothes. The dress code went against everything I was expecting: wouldn’t this be like most recruitment events, where business dress is absolutely crucial? We also weren’t given an agenda previously, so the events and activities were a total surprise.

The DNLC provided so many fantastic opportunities that I never imagined would happen, especially so soon in my university career. Talking to partners, senior managers and HR professionals in such a casual and relaxed setting gave us the opportunity to ask absolutely any questions we had (really – nothing was off limits!). There were fascinating speakers on each of Deloitte’s service lines, what the firm is doing in terms of diversity, and multiple very high-up managers spoke on their experiences.

One of the biggest takeaways for me was how much everybody truly loves their job at Deloitte. The ratio of staff members to students was around 1:3, which made it so easy to talk on a personal level. The firm is so open to what its employees want – transfers and job changes are commonplace and encouraged. Travelling is so important to me, and almost every employee with whom I spoke talked about how much they’ve been able to travel with Deloitte.

All in all, I think that from a marketing point of view, the DNLC is a brilliant recruitment strategy. It’s definitely mutually beneficial: I got to learn so much about the company and my potential future with them, while they got to see if I’m the right fit for them.


If you’re reading this and considering applying for the DNLC – do it. I promise it will be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment