Thursday, July 11, 2013

Professional Fashion

Crop tops, short shorts, leggings....that's what teenagers are wearing nowadays. Myself included. I really hope that it goes without saying that none of these are appropriate for an office workplace. Through events in the last few years, I've learned how to dress well for presentations, galas, meetings....and this summer, working in an office full time has given me great experience with professional fashion. Here are some of my favourite tips!

Dress your age.                                                                              Although you can't wear typical teenage attire, still have fun with your outfit. If you wear a white blouse, black blazer and black pencil skirt every single day, that's just boring. You want your personality to shine through! So add a bright pink blazer, some blue shoes, a statement necklace, coloured pants....let your age show through a little bit.

 Comfy shoes. 
I love heels. Love them. I own a scary amount. Gala invitations make my day because I get to wear heels. So naturally, I wore heels the first few days to work. Worst idea ever. I now have permanent scars and have not worn heels to work since. I wear small wedges sometimes, but that's about it...flats and sandals are my best friends. People told me this would happen, and I didn't believe it. But it did. 

The question of skirt length.
I was always told that knee-length skirts were the only thing you could wear in the workplace. I don't think that's true. Obviously, bodycon skirts that you would wear to the club are not cool. However, if you have a dress that is high-necked and decently modest up top and it's a few inches above knee-length, I think that's completely fine. You don't want to look like you're playing dress-up in your mom's clothes, so wear a skirt that reflects your age.

The little details matter.
While you're running out the door it's easy to think nobody will notice the length of your pants, your chipped nail polish, your crazy hair or stained shirt. The truth is they do notice! Obviously when you're really in a rush it's fine to look a little rumpled - we've all done it. But it really makes such a huge difference to have your pants tailored, take off/redo your nail polish, tie your hair back, or change your shirt. It's the little things!
                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment