Friday, July 19, 2013

I'm Addicted to Self Improvement Books

I don't know when this happened. I read a frighteningly wide variety of books; my current favourites are historical fiction, dystopian literature, memoirs, and self-improvement books. Every time I go to the library I laugh at myself for the books I come away with - it's like I'm getting books for five different people.

During this past school year was when I really fell in love with self-help books. My mother recommended The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin to me, and I gave it a shot. It's now one of my favourite books of all time. My favourite self-help books are the personal ones: people sharing their own stories inspires me so much more than generalized advice from someone who doesn't talk about their own life.

Since then I've read dozens of self-improvement books. Here are some of my favourites:

  • Obviously, The Happiness Project and Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin.
  • 168 Hours by Laura Vanderkam: All about time management and how we can make the most of the 168 hours we are given weekly.
  • Live It, Love It, Earn It by Marianna Olszewsk: Money management for women. It was on the perfect level for me - not a simple intro, but not too advanced
  • Life is What You Make it by Peter Buffett (Warren Buffet's son). I was expecting that I would find the author entitled and snobby, but I was completely wrong. Buffett talks about how his father raised him to work for what he wants, and how everyone can/should do the same.
Basically, what I want to get across is how valuable "self-help" books can really be. I'm absolutely not unhappy with my life - quite the opposite - and I think the impression of these books can sometimes be that they're only for people that need to turn their wreck of a life around. There is always room for improvement.

Sometimes I only really retain one piece of information from a self-help book. But if that one piece helps me change something in my life for the better, it was worth it to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment